The Change the story community of practice is a national community of practice aimed at building on and expanding the knowledge and skills of new and emerging practitioners who have participated in Our Watch’s Change the story training (either full or half-day options).
In a respectful and inclusive space, this community of practice aims to promote:
- connection and collaboration
- continued peer-learning on topics related to the Change the story framework
- sharing and reflection on the enablers and barriers to primary prevention of violence practice.
This community of practice will build on foundational knowledge to equip participants with the tools and confidence required to implement primary prevention actions in places that they live, work, learn, socialise and play.
Who can participate?
This community of practice is ideal for people interested in developing their primary prevention practice.
If you have participated in Our Watch’s Change the story training and have a developing knowledge of the gendered drivers of violence against women in Australia, this will be a great opportunity to continue your learning with other new and emerging practitioners.
Whether you have a dedicated role in violence prevention or wish to enhance your role in other professional settings, this community of practice will enable you to connect, learn and innovate.
Participants will be required to attend one of the Change the story training courses below in addition to being able to commit to all four of the community of practice dates listed.
How will the program run?
Two co-facilitators from Our Watch will coordinate and support an online community of practice over 4 online sessions. Each session will run for 90 minutes, with topics for discussion being guided by participants themselves.
Broadly, topics covered will be a selection of the following:
- techniques for effective practice
- settings and methods for primary prevention
- addressing resistance and backlash
- intersectionality in practice
- working with men and boys in prevention
- healing and trauma-informed approaches
- community and collective care
- gender transformative change
- Our Watch frameworks and tools, including Change the story, Changing the picture, Changing the landscape and Men in focus.
These community of practice sessions will be facilitated through a combination of online learning and collaboration methods, including:
- group discussions
- resource-sharing spaces
- facilitated reflective practice
- activities informed by adult learning principles.
Session dates and times
The next Change the story community of practice will be held over 4 sessions on dates to be announced soon.
How to express your interest
An expression of interest process will open in 2023.